Georgia Tech requires that all applicants demonstrate proof of English language proficiency. Listed below are the ways that this requirement can be satisfied:
- US Citizens and Permanent Residents can submit Lawful Presence documents
- Non-immigrant visa holders can:
Applicants who study at an institution where language of instruction is in English but the country's official language is not English are not exempt from the requirement and will need to submit English proficiency test scores. If you do not satisfy one of the above listed requirements, then you will be required to submit a standardized test score.
Georgia Tech's accepted tests and minimum score requirement for graduate admission are listed below. Please note that meeting the Institute minimum does not guarantee admission since some programs have higher score requirements.
- Official IELTS Academic test score (send scores to Georgia Institute of Technology, "Graduate")
- IELTS ≥ 7 (minimum band score for Reading, Listening, and Speaking is 6.5; minimum band score for Writing is 5.5)
- Official internet based TOEFL score (send scores to Georgia Institute of Technology, institute code 5248)
- TOEFL iBT ≥ 90 (each section must score 19 or higher)
We recommend that you have achieved the minimum score for admission before you submit an application since we do not review applications with scores below the Institute minimum. Your test score must be valid for the term to which you plan to begin your graduate studies.